Senior DBA Engineer required for the IT Operations team of our Glasgow client on a 12-month fixed term contract
Your responsibility as a DBA will be the performance, integrity and security of all database. You'll be involved in the planning and development of databases, as well as in troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. Provide strategic guidance, development and support of the firms’ Database infrastructure. Provide 4th level operational; support and act as escalation point for Database problems. It is envisaged that the role will be 70% SQL focussed and 30% Server Engineer focussed. The role covers both BAU tasks and project implementations.
- Work closely with application & development teams to support & DEV/TEST/UAT environment refreshes, code promotion & security control
- Ensure all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business's Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Test backups to ensure we can meet the business' Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
- Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends within the team rota.
- Configure SQL Server monitoring utilities to minimize false alarms
- Assist with database technology design and improvement for High availability and DR operations
- Install and configure new SQL Servers
- Deploy database change scripts provided by third party vendors
- When performance issues arise, determine the most effective way to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes
- Document the company's database environment
- Act as a key player in project work relating to upkeep and maintenance of Ashurst's backend infrastructure (this includes all Microsoft technologies, backup technologies and SAN storage technologies)
- Input into the design and control of Ashurst's backend infrastructure.
- Input into the design of disaster recovery solutions for systems.
- Development of policies and standards to ensure smooth running and optimal performance of backend infrastructure
- Work closely with global infrastructure operations team to ensure smooth transition of projects and technologies into operational support.
- 4th level support of the firms systems. Providing and maintaining internal procedural and technical documentation.
- Work with 3rd party vendors to identify root cause on any support issues.
Essential skills and experience:
- Extensive Microsoft SQL Server experience
- Extensive Microsoft SQL Server experience (versions 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019)
- Experience of SSRS, SSIS & SSAS
- Working with Microsoft Active Directory 2008/2012
- Microsoft clustering Technology
- Experience of Windows 2012/2016 Server and supporting technologies such as DNS,WINS,DHCP
- Virtualisation Technologies, in particular Vmware vSphere
- Significant relevant work experience in a similar role
Desired skills and experience
- Use or awareness of Zerto replication technologies
- Use of Microsoft GPO and GPO preferences.
- An understanding of firewalls and firewall technologies.
- An understanding of Security in an Internet connected environment
- An understanding of LAN / WAN technologies.
- Exposure to Powershell
- Exposure to Dell hardware.
- ITIL certification
- Knowledge of infrastructure standards (e.g. ISO)
Salary £competitive + Benefits. WFH working arrangements available. For further information contact Stuart Ringland on (0141) 530 4333 or email email@example.com